Redmonk’s Stephen O’Grady in Bad PR – The Bane of My Existence: Seven Suggestions for PR Workers has some practical advice for PR professionals at agencies. Here are his seven suggestions (details in the post):
- Analysts Are Not Press: Don’t Treat Them as if They Are
- Caller ID Works: Don’t Just Keep Calling, and Calling, and Calling
- Personalization: Don’t Address Your Notes “Dear Blogger”
- Press Releases: Don’t Use it as the Only Channel
- Snail Mail: Don’t. Please, Just Don’t
- Scheduling: Don’t Push the Burden On Us
- The Tools of the Trade Suck: Don’t Use Tools Where They’re Not Necessary
Bottom Line: We at SageCircle completely agree with Stephen that most PR agencies do a very poor job of conducting AR and frequently cause problems. Because of the significant differences between the analysts and the press, it really irritates analysts to be treated like a reporter. This is not saying that one is better than the other, but because they are different then they should be treated differently.
Since 2000, SageCircle has helped analyst relations teams to focus on business value by encouraging innovative thinking that leverages insights and drives revenue.