Gartner typically refreshes most Hype Cycles in June and July every year. From a timing point-of-view that means the analysts are starting to think about what they want to change in the Hype Cycle in April. Then in May and June they move into their serious work on their Hype Cycles in order to get them through Editorial by the end of June. Working backward that means that AR programs need to start now to think about how they want to influence the Hype Cycle.
A valuable resource for AR programs that want to influence the Hype Cycle is the book Mastering the Hype Cycle: How to Choose the Right Innovation at the Right Time (Harvard Business Press, $19.77 + S&H on Amazon) by Hype Cycle creator Jackie Fenn and colleague Mark Raskino. While written for the enterprise client, there are many valuable insights in the book for vendor AR professionals. Click here for SageCircle’s review of the book.
- Thinking about Gartner’s HypeCycle
- Gartner’s Hype Cycle – Anticipate andInfluence
- Mastering the Hype Cycle – Highly recommended for different reasons for differentaudiences
- Add influencing the Hype Cycle to your annual AR Strategic & Tactical Plan
- Carefully review the list of Hype Cycles to identify relevant targets (while there are 96 Hype Cycles as of July 6, 2008, this task will likely not require a lot of time and effort)
- Identify which of your company’s leading-edge […]